1950s Elgin Type A17A U.S Military Navigator
The Elgin Type A17A is a U.S. Military issued navigator/pilot’s timepiece that was in production from 1956-1962, which immediately replaced the previous mil-spec A-17. The A17A was designed as a navigation timepiece for pilots and aviators. The A17A is very similar to the A-17, featuring radium Arabic numerals, lumed pencil-style hands, and a subsidiary 24-hour track. However, the main difference is the 18-jewel Elgin movement
The practical dial layout and no-nonsense design give the wearer the perfect utilitarian feeling that makes these early military watches so sought after. Although this is a smaller watch in nature, the dial layout was designed for fast legibility.
|Strap||Cloth Single-Piece Strap|
The previously lightly polished case is in excellent overall condition, showing full and even lugs with light signs of use. The case retains its original oversized crown. The case back remains unpolished with its original factory finishing intact and includes all of its original military designations, The initials "WFM" are hand engraved at the bottom of the case back text. The watch comes supplied on a tan cloth single-piece strap.
The original matte black dial is beautifully preserved, showing graceful aging throughout with no notable signs of damage. "Elgin" is printed in tonal black and is present on this dial, this was done to not distract from the technical applications of the dial. The radium lume hour markers feature a sandy-tan coloration with no major degradation visible under U.V. light inspection. The original radium hands display some age.
None. Watch is functioning and keeping time perfectly, previous service history is unknown.